As an ordinary verb
- One needs to be punctual.
- Everybody needs to be loved.
- He needed some more time to decide the question.
- Do you need to go now?
- I don't need to talk to him.
As an auxiliary verb
- You need not work today.
- Need I go now?
- Need we reserve seats?
- He need only say what he wants and it will be granted.
- I need hardly add that you are always welcome.
- He need not wait. (NOT He needs not wait.)
- You need not come.
- Need I come again? (NOT Do I need come again?)
Points to be noted
- You need not work today. (Auxiliary - Particular occasion)
- You don't need to work on Sundays. (Ordinary - habitual thing)
- You need not pay for this call. (Auxiliary - Particular occasion)
- In most countries, you don't need to pay for emergency calls. (Ordinary - general thing)
(I want to learn English.
She wants to find a new job.
The government wants to introduce its new EU policy.)
want + object
(I want a new car.
They Chinese factor workers want more money.
Why do you want another TV set?)